HomeAbout meFreebies!!!Image HTML map generator

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Classroom Reveal




     For starters, let me just say that I had no idea how many items I had been collecting in my classroom over the past years. The above photo is a picture of one of THREE trips I made from Memphis to Nashville for the sole purpose of moving my classroom. My classroom had to move directly from one school to the other, seeing as neither my old nor my new apartment could possibly fit all of my classroom materials and furniture.  Thankfully, I was able to store my furniture and boxes in different areas around my new school while I waited to get into my new classroom! 



    Getting a classroom ready is unbelievably hard work, and you have no idea what it is like until you have done it. You know, there were many days where I wanted to be relaxing by the pool, since I have the summer "off," but I was getting this room ready instead. Seems to me that we teachers mostly just take off pay, not work. Am I right? It also seems twisted that I am required to decorate my classroom... but I'm also required to purchase all of the materials used for decorating (including sticky tack and staples) myself.  I also get to wear many different hats during the "classroom decorating" phase.  For instance, I sledge hammered that TV mount off the wall...

One of my favorite conversations of the school year so far...
ME: " Excuse me, do you have a sledge hammer I could borrow?"
DISTRICT WORKER: " Well, yeah... but it's a little big. I think what you are looking for is just a hammer."
ME: "Nope, I need a sledge hammer."
DISTRICT WORKER: Points to sledge hammer... "Honey, thats a sledge hammer." 
ME: "Yep, that's what I'm looking for! Thanks!"  


     No, the mess you just saw did not belong to a previous K teacher. I had the joy of moving into the old art room! I also got to clean out all of the old art teacher's cabinets, which were disgusting and crammed full of junk. But, now that they are clean, I have cabinets and I haven't even filled up all of my cabinet space yet! The storage in my new room makes my little teacher heart SO happy! 
     
     Thankfully the carpet in my classroom was replaced with tile over the summer. Unfortunately, this (combined with having to wait on painting that never happened), left me with only a week to move into my room. I was panicked! I am blessed to have the most selfless and talented mother who drove to Nashville and spent three full days making my classroom happen. Trust me, without her, my classroom would still be looking a mess. She stayed at school with me until almost 10pm one night and I am so thankful for all of her help!






     I am really enjoying this classroom and how it turned out. The kids and I have plenty of space to move about and plenty of storage for our supplies. Obviously, I still have some finishing touches to add to the room, but I am purposely saving wall space so that I can add more as the school year progresses! My NUMBER ONE favorite thing about my new room.... NO MORE HIGHLIGHTER ORANGE! (Check out my old classroom below.) 




No comments :

Post a Comment