HomeAbout meFreebies!!!Image HTML map generator

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Community Helpers Unit

Its been a while since I've posted, but I'm making up for it with a super long post!  This week we started our community helpers/ jobs unit. My students have been so excited for this - partly because of our adorable KWL chart. My kids ALWAYS have A LOT to say, as you can see here!


Know

Want to Know

     The fact that some of my students thought you had to be white to be rich absolutely broke my heart. We talked about that before we even finished our chart! I am thankful to see my kiddos so curious, but seriously, I don't think we are going to be able to cover all of this! "How do the people on the driver's side drive the plane? Can we learn how to do that?" Great questions, Smiley Jack.  I'm not sure if thats something we will be able to cover in Kindergarten. 

     To go along with our unit, I created some adorable common core aligned math and literacy centers for my little ones! So far, they have been a blast and I am so THANKFUL that I made these centers in BOTH color and black and white! I'm normally a fan of cute, color graphics, but this week I ran out of ink, so I was thankful I could print some in black and white with clipart stamps! Here is the work we did in centers this week..

Math Centers

Bakery Center - Counting chocolate chips and matching numerals and quantities 



 I try to keep "Can Do" activities in my centers for early finishers. In this center, students could play this fun Scholastic game that I snagged for CHEAP at Walmart just before school started.



  

Military Center - Count, graph and record (1-10) 




Firefighter Center - Roll the dice and find the sum! This simple center turned out to be the favorite of the week! Who knew? One of my K5ers has begged me to make one with baby animals. How cute is that? Maybe I'll add a veterinarian center? 


Mail Carrier Center - Deliver the mail to the correct address! Matching numerals to number words and ten frames!

"Can Do's" for early finishers ...

Math at the Teacher Table

      


Literacy Centers

Brown Table Area: Listening and Pocket Chart Center





Yellow Table Area: Word Work and Writing 




Red Table Area: Read Together and Handwriting





Carpet Area: Puzzles and Games 



 "Can Do" for Early Finishers


     If you want to implement any of these activities in your own classroom, you can purchase them from my TPT shop. I am still adding additional items to my Community Helpers Math and Literacy Centers so they are on sale until Monday! Just click the pic! 


   

       Also, my version of Down by the Station, which was my listening center this week, is very old. Its not on CD... its on cassette. Every year this is one of my kids favorite listening center books for the entire year - because it is such a FUN song! Lucky for you, I just found another version that comes with a CD for just $5 on amazon! I am so excited, because there are apparently tons of similar sing along books by this company for just $5 on Amazon... I'm off to shop :)  


No comments :

Post a Comment